Wednesday, January 18, 2012

TV Dinners: Giada's Redemption?

So you may have read about Giada de Laurentiis breaking my heart with her cruel and inhumane treatment of artichokes and gorgonzola. You may also know that being Italian and Mexican, I'm damn good at holding a grudge.

But it's a new year. One in which I'm trying to be more forgiving. I decided to see if Giada could redeem herself. Enter: Giada's Baked Rigatoni with Bechamel Sauce.

Now let me tell y'all a little somethin'-somethin' about bechamel sauce. I loves it. And even though it sounds all fancy pants and French culinary school complicated, it's actually not. We can thank Bobby Flay and his adorable wife for teaching me the beauty of adding cream and cheese together until it's simmered to thick happiness. Did you guys see that sickeningly sweet episode of Brunch at Bobby's where he brings his wife into the kitchen and they cook French brasserie food together? Did you also then yell at your husband because he never cooks with you like Bobby's spouse does? Did you also then try to bribe him into co-cooking time with your take on Bobby's Croque Madame (Monsieur in our house) cuz that's The Hub's FAVE and makes you both get all mushy, Paris-trip-reminiscing, romancey-smoochy-faced? And did your husband just laugh at you and refuse to enter the kitchen but then still get all reminscing-mushy-smoochy-faced when handed his cheese covered sandwich? No? Just me? Huh. Well, you should totally watch that episode anyway.

Annnnyway, Giada. And her version of Bechamel, which I saw on her "Italian Comfort Food" episode, making me really, really happy. Pasta baked with creamy cheesiness and prosciutto? Possible Giada redemption? Yes, please.


Right off the bat, I was a little wary when she called for Fontina cheese.
Bobby used Gruyere in his version, which I love. But hey, Giada's not French so why would she use Gruyere anyway? But Fontina still surprised me. But who am I to argue? It's cheese. Who doesn't love cheese?!? But still...Fontina...? Sorry. I'll stop arguing with myself now.
Who doesn't love a recipe that starts with melted butter? Well, I guess Diabetic Paula Deen should, but, ya know.
Add some flour and whisk, whisk, whisk. Gradually add milk. Whisk some more. It'll start to seem like you'll never be done whisking but don't worry. The end is sight. Once everything all's good and mixed and starting to thicken, let it simmer for about 10 minutes till it's thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. I'm kicking myself for not taking a pic of that step for you. *Bad blogger!*

Once that's done, throw in fontina and prosciutto, and season with the salt, pepper and nutmeg. Then just set is aside. Your bechamel is done. See how easy that was? Go ahead and make some. Try to wipe that smug look off your face when your guests are impressed with your culinary mastery.


Boil your noodles for just a few minutes. You don't want to cook them all the way as they're headed into the oven for some more cookin'. Toss the noodles together with your happy cheese sauce and throw it all in a greased baking dish. Top with more cheese and pats of butter.


Bake about 25 minutes or until it looks like this:


Now that is some fine lookin' pasta. I was stoked. So I called out to The Hubs, dished it up, and got ready to stuff my face hole.


I gotta say, it was just kind of meh. It was glorified mac n cheese for the bland palate. I think I was right about the Fontina. If I'd used, say, a Gruyere/Parm combo, I bet it would have had some nice flavor. But as is, it was kind of drab. It was certainly easy enough to prep and definitely comfort food worthy, but nothing you'd write home about.

Oh Giada, I wanted this to be your shining redemption moment. I really did. I wanted to tell all that would listen, er...read, that I was wrong about you, that you were a culinary genius, that I was a Giada convert. Instead I'll just tell you guys that it was okay. Just okay.

Even with the Bechamel. And guys? If you're itching to go make some Bechamel now, I highly recommend using the Mornay version from Bobby's lovey-dovey brunch episode. It's criminally good. Sorry, Giada.

Lady B’s Final Say So:

  • Ease Factor: 4 out of 5 noms
  • Taste Test: 3.5 out of 5 noms
  • Truth in Advertising: 4 out of 5 noms
  • The Hubs’ Vote: 3 out of 5 noms
  • Yeah, but is it pretty?: 3 out of 5 noms
  • Overall: Asi-asi. (Ha! How's that for some high school Spanish for ya?)


No comments:

Post a Comment